After a mildly torturous wait, I finally received my RSN piece in the post along with my mark for module one… here it is, in all it’s finished-up glory
And the verdict? A pass with 76%. Phew. I’m not going to lie, it was really hard to read the critique that came with the mark – they certainly don’t pull any punches!
I got my best mark for thread condition and tension, which I was pretty pleased with. I wasn’t quite sure if I’d hit the mark on this one but apparently so.
Despite my best efforts, I got my worst mark for variety of stitches… particularly on the smaller leaves (although the trellis work got a shout-out for being ‘successful’).
The colour balance was a sore point too – apparently I’d made a good choice of colours, but the placement let me down in some areas… this was hard to take as I was happy with it, but the more I look at it, the more I can see they have a point.
You also get marked on the mounting… and here they said it was a good attempt for a first try. I’m taking that as a positive!
Overall I’m thrilled to have passed. It was all uncharted territory, from designing the piece at the outset right through to mounting it at the end. And I knew the marking system would be tough, so a pass is a big win.
For my first piece of design & stitching from start to finish, I still love how it looks. I’m slightly obsessed with the ’3D-ness’ of it.
So that’s module one done and dusted… Next up, I think it’ll be blackwork. But I’ve decided to press the pause button for a few months as I’ve got quite a lot on my plate, what with Junior’s imminent arrival. Luckily, the RSN are really flexible… you can work it out to fit your schedule, as long as you finish all four modules within five years of starting. At least I think it’s five years, I may have made that up. I know it’s quite a long time.
Which leaves me free to focus on knitting, patchwork & nursery prep to my hearts content… lucky that, given the length of the to-do list!